MOE Sri Lanka benchmarks incorporation of TVET in Malaysian Basic Education
In an effort to benchmark best practices of incorporating TVET in Basic Secondary Education, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) engaged the Colombo Plan Staff College to facilitate a Study Visit for the senior officials of Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Education in Malaysia from September 18 to 24, 2016.
MOE – TVED Director Mr. Zainuren Mohd. Nor (7th fr.-L) and Assistant Director Mr. Yusaini Mohd. Yusof (6th fr. L), with Dr. Zulkifli Zakaria (5th fr. L) and the delegation from Sri Lanka during the visit to the Ministry.
The study visit focused on the following aspects identified in the project: improving the technology curriculum, learning-teaching process, conducting practical applications at the senior secondary level and integrating the school technology streams with the overall TVET system of other countries.
The specific objectives of the ADB project include the following:
- To gain awareness on technical education in other countries;
- To observe best practices in school level technology education and its integration with the wider TVET sector;
- To observe the curricula, teaching learning processes and the conduct of practical session and evaluation of students at school level that could assist to improve the present Sri Lankan system of education;
- To benchmark methodologies of teacher education and training for technology teachers;
- To learn about career pathways and the transition of school to career.
The delegation was composed of the following nine senior officials: Ms. B L D Balasuriya, Director, Ministry of Education (MOE); Ms. H I D D Hettiarachchi, Assistant Director, MOE; Ms. T D Ariyaratna, Assistant Director, MOE; Mr. N T K Lokuliyana, Director, National Institute of Education, MOE; Ms. G K Gamage, Assistant Director, National Institutions of Education, MOE; Mr. Nihal Alahakoon, Assistant Director, Central Provincial Council, MOE; Mr. T Lenin Arivalakan, Assistant Director, Northern Provincial Council, MOE; Mr. T A D D Premerathne, Director, Department of National Planning, Ministry of National Policies and Economic Affairs; and Mr. Herathbanda Jayasundra, Associate Project Officer, Sri Lanka Resident Mission, ADB.